Click Here For Free Blog Templates!!!
Blogaholic Designs
Friday, August 15, 2014

Putting ART Into Your HOME

Back to Homeschool Blog Hop

Welcome Back to the Back to School Blog Hop.
I am excited about todays topic because I absolutely love Art and most kids love to explore different media even if they aren't the next Michelangelo. Before we talk about putting art in your homeschool I want to remind you that a few of my friends are joining in as well. Don't forget to visit them.


Tauna @ Proverbial Homemaker
Laura @ Day by Day in Our World
Melanie @ finchnwren
Sarah @ Delivering Grace
Joelle @ Homeschooling for His Glory
Linda @ Linda's Lunacy
Leah @ As We Walk Along the Road
Hillary @ Our Homeschool Studio

I wanted to chat a little with you about putting art into your school. Yes I know what you are going to say but Nikki I don't like the mess. We don't do art, its not my thing . Or I'm not creative like you. (Ha ha I added the like you. I love art) The problem with all of these statements is... they are all about YOU.

 

  They aren't about your child and their learning. Don't allow your fear of art to keep you from allowing your kids to explore it.  The great thing about art is that nothing you do in art can be wrong. So grab all those art supplies and let the juices flow free. Remember you don't need a piece of art that the kids copy. Those pieces have their purposes . They are called Product art. You end up with an end piece with a desired result. Sometimes kids need to just use the tools and explore them. That is process. The end result isn't always lovely or something you want to keep but they learn so much in the process.


Another thing I often hear is we don't have time for art. When are we doing that?  Honestly there are a lot of ways to explore art across the curriculum if you don't feel like you have time for it. One way in particular is to add it to your history lesson. There Is a lot of art out there that tells the story of that time period. Just look up an artist  from the time period you are studying. Art can definitely be an enhancer to your study. You can also study the architecture of that time, the styles of clothing , pottery or jewelry.  It's a Great way to explore  history and art at the same time.

Another thing you can do is a picture study. I just joined a co-op for this year that does a picture study as part of one of their classes. What a great idea and simple too. You can do this along with your morning Calendar time. Show the children an art print and discuss what you see. Here is an example...



Say you show them Van Gogh's Starry Night.

You can have them point out the warm colors
Talk about the brush stokes
Talk about the feeling of movement
Share about the artist himself
Look at Van Gogh’s painting of Starry Night and describe what you see in the painting and how it makes you feel. Do the stars in Van Gogh’s sky have five points? How would you draw stars?
 Look at the air . Do you think it is windy or still?
How does the artist show this?


If you need help with picture study check out
Simply Charlotte Mason Picture Study



Once you have created some art. No need to hide it. Share it on your blog or share it with me . I can post what you want to share on our weekly meme the Virtual Refrigerator. Each Thursday we share our child's art and link so that others can see what we are doing too.  Often the best ideas come from other homeschoolers. Take a peek at some of my friends who participate weekly as well.
 

 



Another way to add your art ...
Good News. Jennifer the Creator of the Virtual Refrigerator Blog Hop has created a pinterest board of our Art. So now you can go and see all of our past art projects. Yeah... Thank you Jennifer !




Another Warm Blessings,

Nikki

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to my blog. All comments will be answered here on my blog Thanks for commenting and stopping by.
Nikki

Keep in Touch

I would love to hear from you. Feel free to comment or leave a message in my message box. I will get back to you as soon as I can. Thank- you for visiting Angels of Heart.

Rejoice in the Lord Always.