Click Here For Free Blog Templates!!!
Blogaholic Designs
Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Diana Waring Presents- Experiencing History Through music- Review

Music touches your Heart. I can hear a song and it will transport me to a specific time and place. It takes me back to that particular memory. I have some found memories through music. It never occurred to me to take History and place it with Music but why not? If Music can take me to a time and place in my memory. Why can't music jog our memories about historical events?
 
 



I was honored to be able to review Diana Waring Presents :  


-America The Heart of a New Nation  $18.99


- Westward Ho! Heart of the Old West $18.99


-Musical Memories of Laura Ingalls Wilder $18.99


Right now for July 2014 you can get all three  for $50. Originally Bundled at  $57. You get a $7. Savings! Remember the deal is only for July.  









I absolutely love teaching History. Especially American History. Each one of the CD sets comes with a book as well. The book shares with you a little story about the songs from the CD included with pictures of that time period. The American History collection takes you through From the French and Indian War to the first transcontinental railroad. With music selections such as...1. Yankee Doodle 
2. Star Spangled Banner
3. Erie Canal   
4. Oh, Susanna 
5. Sweet Betsy From Pike 
6. All Night, All Day   
7. Old Dan Tucker    
8. Wade In The Water   
9. Johnny Has Gone For A Soldier   
10. When Johnny Comes Marching Home    
11. Shenandoah   
12. Git Along L'il Dogies
13. Drill Ye Tarriers 
14. Polly Wolly Doodle         
15. She'll Be Coming Round The Mountain 
16. Old Joe Clark  


I have found memories of this collection. When I was a child I remember mom singing them to me as we worked in the garden or danced around the house cleaning. I was mesmerized by the music and now I get to teach them to my daughter. I had such good memories associated with this music that I taught many of them to the preschool children when I was a preschool teacher. It is absolutely fabulous to have them on Cd all together and to have a little story to tell along with the song.



 




Westward Ho ! The Heart of the Old West is the next book and CD. This Cd takes you through the Rugged West and the westward expansion. Through folk songs you will learn a bit more about the Pioneer experience. This one contains songs such as...
1. Apple Picker's Reel   
2. Boll Weevil 
3. Missionary's Farewell 
4. Oh, California 
5. Ho! For California 
6. San Juan Pig War 
7. Chisholm Trail 
8. Westward Ho! 
9. Home On The Range 
10. Little Old Sod Shanty 
11. Strawberry Roan 
12. Old Settler 
13. Gooey Duck 
14. Little Cabin in the Cascade Mountains   


It was interesting to learn about the song Home on the Range. The song was the state song of Kansa and the unofficial song of the west.  We learn that the Range was the vast open fields of the west. Soon barbed wire fences would stop that open glory ride that the cowboys would take. So much more information in the book.  My son really took to this one. He has always had a fascination with the wild west. Every few summers we stop at a wild west theme park on our vacation. We will be heading out next week and he is already asking if we can go again. I think I'll take this CD along and really get him excited about stopping this year. We can read the stories on our long car right and sing along with our sheet music.











Last but not least is the Musical Memories of Laura Ingalls Wilder. I grew up loving the stories of Laura and the Prairie. My boys have never been to interested in her stories but I have a daughter and I can't wait till she is old enough for me to share them with her. These musical memories will be a nice added accent to our reading and studies. Many of the songs in this book are represented by the pioneer life not just Laura's. Take a look at some of the selections...



1. Wait for the Wagon
2. Green Grows the Laurel
3. The Old Chariot
4. Buy a Broom
5. Sweet By and By
6. Rock me to Sleep
7. Buffalo Gals
8. A Railroad Man for Me
9. Beware
10. Pop! Goes the Weasel
11. Oft in the Stilly Night
12. The Girl I left Behind Me
13. My Sabbath Home
                              
                
               
 I wanted to share with you a picture of one of the pages in the book. They are all similar with art, illustrations and photography from that time period.
As I mentioned before each song is represented with a story about that time in History.



In the back of all three books you will find sheet music for those students that are able to play a musical instrument. We are working here on some basic piano but I'm not sure we are ready for these just yet but maybe one day. 






How We used it:


You could use this study on its own or with an existing curriculum. Since it is summer we handled the curriculum in this way and might just continue in this manner during our school time in the fall. In the summer we have a morning meeting time . During this time we read a devotional, practice spelling words, math facts and often spend time in quiet reading. We also at times have an enrichment activity. This is where we placed the Music through History activity. I would have one of the older kids read the story that is associated with that particular song. Then we would listen and learn the song .


Often we would grab the Cd and take them with us on grocery shopping trips so the kids could sing along in the car. I found that the younger crowd seemed fascinated with the music where the older ones were more into the time period. It was really neat how I could use this across the board with all of my students which range from 4-17.

In the fall I plan to use these Cd's again because I so loved teaching these songs to my preschool classes I decided to teach the American songs  to my preschooler here at home. We will work on one per month. It will be fun to watch her enjoy the music of America.


Warm Blessings,

Nikki








0 comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to my blog. All comments will be answered here on my blog Thanks for commenting and stopping by.
Nikki

Keep in Touch

I would love to hear from you. Feel free to comment or leave a message in my message box. I will get back to you as soon as I can. Thank- you for visiting Angels of Heart.

Rejoice in the Lord Always.