Click Here For Free Blog Templates!!!
Blogaholic Designs
Wednesday, June 25, 2014

H= History





I'm happy to be linking up again with Ben and me with an ABC Blog Hop. I chose to complete the ABC's of homeschooling. Below are the articles written so far incase you missed any of them.



G= Get Together




Today's ABC's of Homeschooling  is the
Letter H = History

Your Approach:

First thing you want to do is figure out your approach to history. There are various ways you can begin. Some people like to start  in their area (meaning surrounding your child) and work out . Others like to begin with the ancients and move through history from the beginning of time. Others start in the 21st century and move backwards. It's really up to you how you would like to begin. You can even jump in and pick and choose topics by what your children would like to learn depending on their ages.

For Kindergarten we start with our world and move out visiting various continents. We learn about Our home, Our town, then Our state and our country. Until we are ready to board the proverbial ship and take off to visit other lands.

In First  Grade we begin with the Ancients and move forward through. By Third Grade we hit Exploration and move over to American History starting in 4th. We then repeat it  all later at a Higher Grade level. If you plan out a general guide for yourself it will make it easier as you plan.

You will also want to check out any special requirements for your State. And what type of view you would like the curriculum to take. Such as a World View or a Biblical View.


Another thing you want to think about is your child's learning style. Does your child do best with Hands on learning? Auditory? or Visual? This will help you determine which curriculum will work best for you.



My Favorite Curriculum Options:
Notgrass Company  - "Notgrass Company exists to glorify God by producing materials centered in His Word that help parents train their children to honor God with heart, soul, and mind."  Notgrass takes more of a text book type of approach but there are many hands on opportunities available with in the curriculum. Notgrass is definitely on my favorites list.


Evan Moore- My kids also really enjoy the Evan Moore History pockets. They match up really well with the History of US series by Joy Hakin


Homeschool In the Woods- Another of my favorites is homeschool in the woods. This one works great for that hands on learner. My oldest daughter did the American Revolution packet and she still talks about the things we did within those lessons to this day.

Verta Press- Verta press is a recent new favorite. I was introduced to it through the Schoolhouse crew. This one takes a more visual approach with really engaging videos that take you through history.
(A review is coming soon)


This is only a small fraction of what is out there to choose from. If you are unfamiliar with various curriculum you might want to check out this great index from Cathy Duffy. You might be there for awhile if you go looking. Cathy shares many reviews on various History curriculum by subject along with supplemental material.




History is one of my very very favorite topics to teach. When I was in public school I hated history. I found it so boring but in reality it is a great big adventure and we have that opportunity as homeschoolers to jump right in.

Warm Blessings,

Nikki

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to my blog. All comments will be answered here on my blog Thanks for commenting and stopping by.
Nikki

Keep in Touch

I would love to hear from you. Feel free to comment or leave a message in my message box. I will get back to you as soon as I can. Thank- you for visiting Angels of Heart.

Rejoice in the Lord Always.