Click Here For Free Blog Templates!!!
Blogaholic Designs
Thursday, April 10, 2014

Star Chronicles - Review






When I look to the heavens the World seems so big and so
open to God's creation. The stars are so wondrous. There is so
much there that we do not see or understand but God is in it and
through it. He is all over our creation. We can only begin to
understand and learn all that he has placed before us.
The heavens declare the glory of God;
    the skies proclaim the work of his hands. Psalms 19:1

It isn't often that you come across a study such as this one. A study
about the stars that is not astrological in content . One that looks at the
outer world with a biblical perspective. I want to share with you...

Star Chronicles- a bible based study of the stars
ISBN-13: 978-1497446502
ISBN-10: 149744503
Author : Dawnita Fogleman

Available for purchase from:

Fogleman Forerunner- $12.00 Ebook
Amazon-$25.00 Paperback
Create Space - $25.00




About the Study: 


Star Chronicles is a study of the constellations based on bible principles.
Often times a study about the stars is saturated with astrology. This
study is NOT that. You won't find zodiac or horoscopes. I like that
about it. Each star chart is introduced with a constellation and
accompanying star chart. Children will listen to a bit of information
about each constellation or they can read it themselves depending on
the age. I would say this is a broad spectrum curriculum in that just
about any age could do it depending on how in depth a child wants to
go. There are coloring pages for the little ones and Notebooking pages
for the older student. Older students can dig deeper with more research
with suggest curriculum resources.






There are 12 constellations that are introduced. They are :

Virgo (Virgin and Bride)
Libra (Justice and Balance)
Scorpio (Sting of death)
Sagittarius (Archer)
Capricorn (Goat)
Aquarius (water bearer)
Pisces (fish)
Aries (Lamb)
Taurus (A bull)
Gemini (Twins)
Cancer (Resurrection)
Lion (leo)


For each one you will find a word study on the names of the
constellations , some historical information and then bible verses
related to each one. Star charts are introduced as well in relation
to the bible.





About the Author:

Dawnita Fogleman and her husband Paul have 6 children.
They homeschool and now have two who graduated. Her family
has started their own business and run their little farm.   Dawnita
blogs about life @ FoglemanForerunner.com




How We used the Study:


This was a really fun study to do with the kids. I used it with
three of my children ages 4, 8, and 14. To be honest with you I was
a little intimidated. I know nothing about the stars or the constellations.
I love Science but I'm more of a chemistry and Biology type of girl. So I was
a little worried about teaching it. Dawnita suggests gathering scrapbook
materials and create a notebook using the pages and information that
she provides.  I had the kids work on this as a team. My son read the
information an then paraphrased it to the little ones. I did it this way
because he is an auditory learner and I knew this would be a way
for him to retain the information. I would have liked to use the
notebooking pages with my older son but there was some color to
the page and I didn't' have access to a color printer. So what we did
was a team effort. My 8 year old would color the pages for him
and then he would choose a bible verse from the reading
to add to the paper. They both worked on trying to produce the
constellation pattern as well. They had some nice brother time
and it worked out for them nicely. 





Of course my little Sweet Pea loves to be involved so these pages were
really great for her. I printed extra and she has been coloring them
for days now. I have an enormous stack of them. 








As I mentioned above we did not get to use the notebooking pages
but they are really lovely. I wanted to show them to you.  Here is a
snip it of one so you can see what they are like. Really beautifully done. 








Now that I have my feet wet with it. I am feeling a tad more
confident and would really like to do this lesson again using
some of the suggested resources and some of the things I have
learned since the completion of our study. I feel like this is something
we can revisit and that will grow along with my children.


Definitely something to add to your homeschool.


Warm Blessings,

Nikki






1 comments:

  1. Thank you for the review Nikki. I am so glad this is something you feel you can revisit and will grow with your family. You've been a real encouragement to me. Blessings!!!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my blog. All comments will be answered here on my blog Thanks for commenting and stopping by.
Nikki

Keep in Touch

I would love to hear from you. Feel free to comment or leave a message in my message box. I will get back to you as soon as I can. Thank- you for visiting Angels of Heart.

Rejoice in the Lord Always.