Click Here For Free Blog Templates!!!
Blogaholic Designs
Wednesday, March 26, 2014

The Daniel Plan - Book Review




The Daniel Plan 40 Days to a Healthier You

By Rick Warn
Daniel Amen
and Mark Hyman
Published by Zondervan



Book Description  : 
Revolutionize Your Health … Once and for All
During an afternoon of baptizing over 800 people, Pastor Rick Warren
realized it was time for change. He told his congregation he needed to
lose weight and asked if anyone wanted to join him. He thought maybe
200 people would sign up, instead he witnessed a movement unfold as
15,000 people lost over 260,000 pounds in the first year. With assistance
from medical and fitness experts, Pastor Rick and thousands of people
began a journey to transform their lives.
Welcome to The Daniel Plan.
Here’s the secret sauce: The Daniel Plan is designed to be done in a
supportive community relying on God’s instruction for living.
When it comes to getting healthy, two are always better than
one. Our research has revealed that people getting healthy together
lose twice as much weight as those who do it alone. God never meant
for you to go through life alone and that includes the journey to health.
Unlike the thousands of other books on the market, this book is not
about a new diet, guilt-driven gym sessions, or shame-driven fasts.
The Daniel Plan shows you how the powerful combination of
faith, fitness, food, focus, and friends will change your health
forever, transforming you in the most head-turning way
imaginably---from the inside out.




My thoughts on the Daniel Plan:

As many of my readers know I have recently been working on
living a healthy lifestyle and working to create a life plan that
works for me. At any chance I can get I have grabbed books on
the topic of healthy living and weight loss. I feel there is so much
to learn. It can be difficult to determine sometimes what works
for me. I am learning from trial and error.

The Daniel plan promotes Clean Eating which is something
I have already been doing. The book talks about how food is
medicine for your body, which I have truly come to believe.
I cringe at the thought of all the fatty , processed foods and
chemicals I put into my body over the years. A good rule of
thumb to use is if you can't read the ingredients or if there
are more than three then it's probably not good for you. You
want to eat Real Whole foods. Over time your body will
tell you want it wants and doesn't want. I have been eating
mostly clean now for about 3 months and I can tell you when
I don't eat clean or veer off from my food plan then I feel
literally sick. That is proof that my body is rejecting these
chemicals. Before it accepted it as what it was but now
it knows that this is the good stuff and it refuses to except
the bad anymore. The Daniel plan did clear a few things up
for me such as the specific fats I should avoid and also
the types of oils to use. There were some I wasn't sure about.


Another thing the book suggests that I already find I do is to
work on your weight loss within a group. It says to "use the
body of Christ as your support. "  I belong to several online
groups and one in particular has become a great support to me.

Now I did pick up other things from the book that were really
useful to me. I like they way that it is suggested to set goals for
yourself. Yes I have long term goals and each time I complete a
goal I reward myself . However it is suggested here that you choose
one word for the week. Then work on that word for that week and
then the following week choose another. My word for the week
might seem odd but for this week it is REST. It has been a stressful
week or so and I feel I need to focus on giving my body the sleep
it needs. So my focus this week is making sure I get to bed on time
and getting that time to refresh each day. I really like the weekly
goal . I think it helps at least to move forward on the thing I
want to work on the most that week. It could be endurance,
strength, accountability, water and so on.

The other idea I really like is the spin on exercise. Exercise can
feel like a chore. Something else to add to your to do list. The
Daniel plan encourages you to think of fitness like a kid. To think
of it as play. They use the letters from play as an acronym .

P- Prayerful movement
L- Loosening breaks
A- Active games
Y- youthful strength training.

You can read more from the book to find out what each of these mean.
In reality I sit a lot with homeschooling and writing online.
When I read that for every 3-4 hours sitting it's like smoking a
pack of cigarettes a day, well Ouch. I sure don't want that. I like the
idea of taking stretching breaks and prayerful movements during the
day. An active way to talk to God. I think I can implement this with
my kids as well who also spend a lot of time sitting and reading .

I feel that the Daniel plan is a good place to start if you are just
starting out in your healthy lifestyle or even if you are just seeking
more information on this new way of living. Ultimately no book is
going to be able to do this for you. You are going to have to do the hard
work. It can give you instructions but it's really all about You.



Warm Blessings,

Nikki













Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free
from the publisher through the BookLook Bloggers book review
bloggers program. I was not required to write a positive review.
The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this
in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR,
Part 255 : “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and
Testimonials in Advertising.”

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to my blog. All comments will be answered here on my blog Thanks for commenting and stopping by.
Nikki

Keep in Touch

I would love to hear from you. Feel free to comment or leave a message in my message box. I will get back to you as soon as I can. Thank- you for visiting Angels of Heart.

Rejoice in the Lord Always.