Click Here For Free Blog Templates!!!
Blogaholic Designs
Monday, August 19, 2013

Reading Kingdom

Reading Kingdom logo photo readingkingdomlogo_zps9012735a.jpg

All of my kids have struggled with reading. Some of them have
been diagnosed with dyslexia. We have gone through the phonics
programs and many of them improve one thing or the other.
Either the reading improves and the spelling does not or the spelling
improves and the reading does not. It's a challenge to find something
that works and that the children enjoy. Last year my son begin his
journey into first grade. He does well with his reading but he isn't
learning fast enough. It has been a very slow process. He is entering
2nd this year with a middle 1st grade reading level. My hope is to
get that score up along with his spelling level. I think both go
hand in hand. Then along came Reading Kingdom and I thought
what do I have to lose. We will give it a try.

I was given from the Schoolhouse Review Crew in exchange for my
review and honest opinion Reading Kingdom an easy interactive online
program that teaches children ages 4-10 years old how to read and write
to a third grade reading level. $19.95/month for a single student.

Reading is so important. It is one of the things that we use on a regular
basis and is a means to our success in life. You need to know how
to read for so many things. Yet government records show that 2 out
of 3 students are not proficient readers. Most reading programs are
taught using  over 600 phonics rules and end up frustrating the student.
Reading Kingdom uses an "Integrated Six Skill Method" that combines
reading a writing skills. Reading Kingdom claims with this method
your child will have success in reading and writing.


Reading Kingdom begins with seeing sequence which teaches visual
scanning and memory. I like the idea of these activities. I could see
this improving fluency training the eyes to move across the page.

My son was able to do this section rather well with a few errors more
because his typing skills aren't so good and he is slow to find the letters.
Reading Kingdom screenshot photo readingkingdom4screenshot_zps4c5404a8.jpg

Which brings me to letter land format which teaches typing skills.
This does not mean the 10 finger touch this is talking about
memory mapping to make it easier for the child to use the program.

My son did get tired of this section we had to take it in chunks but
I found it beneficial for working with in our school in a number of ways.

Reading Kingdom screenshot photo readingkingdom3screenshot_zpsc60cb6fc.jpg



This screen also shows a visual progression skill, memory and
typing skills.

My son enjoyed doing these. He found them rather easy.

Reading Kingdom screenshot photo readingkingdom1screenshot_zps12d9dd06.jpg

Next are the sections that teach reading, writing, and comprehension.
These start with short simple word phrases and move to more complex
reading selections. There are 5 levels with 6 books at each level.
Prior to reading that book the child is taught all the words to the book
using pronunciation,  spelling, and usage. So when a child begins
reading the book they will already know the words in that particular
reading. After each level there is a progress test to see if the child
learned everything for that particular level. If that test shows
areas of weakness they are given a series of review exercises.



Reading Kingdom screenshot photo readingkingdom2screenshot_zps523e6256.jpg


Reading Kingdom also gives a detailed report of your child's progress.

We are using reading kingdom the suggest 4 times a week. I am not
sure yet if it is improving my child's reading skills. Time will tell
and I will update as we go .


If you want to read more reviews on reading Kingdom click the
graphic below.
Photobucket


Warm Blessings,

Nikki





 photo Disclaimer2_zpsff718028.gif

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to my blog. All comments will be answered here on my blog Thanks for commenting and stopping by.
Nikki

Keep in Touch

I would love to hear from you. Feel free to comment or leave a message in my message box. I will get back to you as soon as I can. Thank- you for visiting Angels of Heart.

Rejoice in the Lord Always.