Click Here For Free Blog Templates!!!
Blogaholic Designs
Sunday, December 23, 2012

Growing Great Kids by Kate Battistelli



  About the Book :

    Growing Great kids author Kate Battistelli
shares her and her husband, Mikes, journey to
 raise their daughter Francesca. Kate shares with
us her struggles and joys in raising a child to
love the Lord. She shares ways in which we can
encourage our children and lead them to their
calling in life.
      I had many favorite chapters but here are a few of the ones that I enjoyed the most...

              *The power of a Parents Words

              * Pursuing purity in heart and mind

              * Be Available

              * Encouraging their walk with God

                                                                                   * Prayer the Essential Ingredient


About the Author:

 "Kate Battistelli is a wife, author, speaker, former Broadway actress, and mom to one of Christian music’s most celebrated new recording artists—Grammy-nominated, Christian contemporary singer-songwriter Francesca Battistelli.


Kate currently volunteers at ESTHER Single Mothers Outreach and is thoroughly enjoying her newest role as grandmother to Francesca’s first child, Matthew Elijah."

Want to learn more...

Kate's Website, Facebook page, Twitter
Francesca's Music



If you interested you might want to take a listen to this interveiw...



My Thoughts:
  I can relate to Kate on many levels as I was reading her book I found myself shaking my head , Yes. So many of her thoughts are my thoughts and it's not surprising since both of us use our Bible as our parenting Guide. I really enjoyed Kate's book. I felt like we could have been really good friends in another circumstance. I enjoyed how the book was set up . It is divided into simple segments of thoughts and ideas. It was nice for a busy mom to drop in read a few of the segments and then have that time to really think about what they meant as I went through my day. I loved that her ideas are based on bible principle. At the end of each chapter you will find a list of questions to ask yourself and some of them were rather eye opening. You will also find a prayer to round out your learning at the end of each chapter.


   Leading my children to their purpose is something I have strived to do all along. Growing up my parents were fabulous parents but I still struggled to find my way. Certain career opportunities weren't looked at as such in our family environment. I had no idea what I wanted to do or where God was leading me. I had a strong desire to be a mother and to be a parent. I acted this out in the way I played but we never had any small children near when I was growing up. I also found I was very creative and loved the arts. I enjoyed spending my time drawing and being creative. I tried applying that to a career but it just wasn't happening.  It is funny how God will lead you to it. I eventually started  working in a childcare center. I loved working with children and I found that my creative side was an extremely good asset to have working with children. It was nothing for me to create my own patterns or art ideas in our lesson plans. To this day I work with children now my own homeschooling and within our church family. It took me so long but I feel I found my calling. I'm sitting right in the middle of it and didn't know for sometime. I'm not sure everyone in the family understands that but that's really okay because I do.


   I am finding that each of my children are extremely different in finding their path and how they go about it. My oldest child is in college right now. It took some time to find where she was headed. When she was little she was very timid but begged me to take her to learn ballet. She asked for so long that I finally took her. We spent hours in practice. Eventually she was singing and dancing on stage. She danced and competed from Kindergarten to 9th grade.  This was not to be her career but it gave her something of great value that she would need. It gave her the courage to Lead. The courage to stand up for oneself and become who she is meant to be. It was a different sort of training. In her high school year she was very involved in our church and Lead many teens to Christ. Had she not had that self esteem and strong sense of self that she learned in those ballet classes I don't believe that would have happened.  She took that trait to lead and is working on becoming a Secondary Ed teacher. Who would have known that it would take her on this course. Only God knew and perhaps this will change too as time goes on.  He is working in her life.  I felt at every turn God was there for her and it was soo easy to figure out for her and still is. She just knows how to feel God and knows what comes next. I have learned from Kate though that this is not the end. That I need to keep diligently praying for her so that she can continue on her path.


Now things are not always easy. I have 5 children so as you can expect things are different for all of them. My next Daughter is in the 10th grade and she has no idea what she wants to do or what she is good at. She has the thought to maybe go to  culinary school. I have been working to cultivate that and begin the process of learning to cook. Now I'm not a person that enjoys cooking so this has proved to be quit a challenge for me. I took many of Kate's suggestions for leading a child that you don't have much in common with. I love her equivocally but cooking isn't something I enjoy. I am finding myself in uncharted waters. I am finding myself looking for books and researching just so I can be one step ahead. I have no doubt there will come a time where she surpasses me. To be honest I'm not even sure this is her calling she seems so unsure and has always been timid in her choices. She is a difficult one to read, so I will continue to pray that God will show us what it is he wants from her life. I thought I might take Kate's idea to create some Goals for my girl so that she can figure out where God is leading her for sure. However this is the same child that was baking pies at the age of 7 and good ones at that. So perhaps He is leading and I'm just letting my own misgivings get in the way. Hmmm I have somethings to think about now. As I was typing this all out it really has become clear. Perhaps I am the muddle in that mud and ought to help her clear things up.



Now my son age 12 is an easy one. He has loved to draw since he was very little.
When he was four he drew this amazing bird. I was floored by it. I have always loved
to draw so you know this was soo easy for me to help him with and cultivate. I do plan
to use some goal charts to help him more with his talent. He has had special drawing
classes at the comic book store but I'd like to get him in classes at York arts. These are rather costly but well worth his time. I am hoping that he will be able to use his love for the Lord and his art to one day reach others. He is such a loving caring boy. He will often give his toys away just because someone asked for them.  Its all in the works . God's plan is clear.  


My littlest girl is only 3 years old . We have not found her one day goal yet but we can pray for it. My other little guy is 7. He has this strong desire to build things and I am not  feeling that its just his age. There is something there for him I feel it. We will continue to pray for our children and over them. We will lead them to their God given Goals. We will dream Big.



Thanks Kate for the reminders.

Pick up this book it is a wonderful read and will have you looking at each of your
children too. You will be intentionally praying for them, guiding them, creating goals
and loving them .

Growing Great Kids is AVAILABLE NATIONWIDE in bookstores and major retailers for $14.99.


Your readers can buy discounted and personally autographed copies
Or purchase online at: Amazon, Christian Books, Barnes and Noblesor their favorite online retailer.


Before I go I just had to share my favorite song by Francesca






Warm Blessings,

Nikki

I received a free copy of this book/Ebook/Product to review.

I was not required to write a positive review nor was I compensated
in any other way. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am
disclosing this in accordance with the FTC Regulations.
I am part of The CWA Review Crew




The CWA Review Crew- Christian Women Reviewing

1 comments:

  1. Thanks for your sweet review Nikki! I can tell you are indeed growing a whole bunch of great kids. Good for you!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my blog. All comments will be answered here on my blog Thanks for commenting and stopping by.
Nikki

Keep in Touch

I would love to hear from you. Feel free to comment or leave a message in my message box. I will get back to you as soon as I can. Thank- you for visiting Angels of Heart.

Rejoice in the Lord Always.