Click Here For Free Blog Templates!!!
Blogaholic Designs
Thursday, October 27, 2011

Monsters, Comics and Things that Move.

* I finally got around to creating a picture top for my middle
School boys posts. Not sure I like the lettering . I may change it
somewhat. For now its there.



Do you know that I have tried and tried to find something
to motivate my son to read and to write. It is something
that he doesn't enjoy, which is words I have heard from
many a home school mom with a boy this age. I can not
remember a time that he liked reading and writing. I
still don't think he will be rushing to write but I did find
something that he enjoys. When the boy enjoys something
then it becomes worthy of working upon. Boys are Left
or right you know. They either like it or they don't and if
they don't you will have to force the effort from them.
It seems there is no middle in a middle school boy.

This day however we came upon a lesson on poetry.
Thinking I'd hear a huge groan but did not. Perhaps
I am thinking its because the reading is less intense.
Although the understanding can be more intense depending
on what you are reading but we won't tell him that.

This day our assignment was to create a poem that had
alliteration and onomatopoeia. Alliteration is to create
words with music or rhyme. Now tell me what middler
does not like music at this age. Perfect . Onomatopoeia is
a word that imitates sound. Now this is a wonderfully
fun thing for a boy to use words that make sound.
Boom, Ching, Squack, ding, peep etc..

Of course as the boy writes this his mind is on monsters
and mayhem. Perhaps you know that my "Superboy" is
of the comic book family. His actions are motivated by
them. At times I think he came from toon parents. We
frequent the local comic store as comics are the
only material he will read on his own. He is also somehow
able to find a comic book in our local library each
time we go. I'd say even more than one a stack. Well he is
reading so I do not complain. Recently he went to a
special art class on how to draw cartoons at our new
favorite comic store Planet X Comics. This store is awesome
and has a real way with kids. So know that creating
monsters or writing and drawing silly characters is right
up his alley. I was able to let my Boy be himself without
giving him that Oh brother this is strange look. He could
be as strange as he liked and came out the best in
his class. I'm not saying that because I'm his mom. Not
at all . Really. Anyway here is the poem he came up
with . Course we had to create the art to go with it
or it wouldn't be Superboys.

In case you can't read it.

At the dead of night
A mummy comes to fright (Yeah rhyming words)
In the mummy tomb.


Something happens to you
over Halloween night
The growling of Gross (Alliteration and onomatopoeia)
Roar comes!!

Not Shakespere but good just the same. I love
The Growling of Gross
Roar comes.
That phrase could go anywhere.
More comics and writing to come. I think I'm
on to something. Perhaps I can make this new
found love stick and perhaps not.


Warm Blessings,
Nikki



0 comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to my blog. All comments will be answered here on my blog Thanks for commenting and stopping by.
Nikki

Keep in Touch

I would love to hear from you. Feel free to comment or leave a message in my message box. I will get back to you as soon as I can. Thank- you for visiting Angels of Heart.

Rejoice in the Lord Always.